Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Bike Week in Italy Comes to an End

Friday morning saw us up and about early. We had a decent amount of ground to cover and wanted to make sure we were out early enough that we could drive to the front of the hotel. It was a nice hotel, but was located in a pedestrian zone, which doesn't permit motorized vehicles after 10:00 AM.


We carried our side bags to the garage, but left our trunks in the room. I outside with the bikes while Hubby retrieved the trunks from the room. The hotel clerk came outside at one point, looked at me, then said, "You are from the United States, no?" When I told him yes, he said, "Then where are the Harleys?" Apparently most Europeans assume all Americans ride Harleys. We'd gotten similar comments a few time during our bike week.

Lago di Guarda
Rive del Garda is at the northern tip of Garda Lake. I'm really glad I chose that as a place to overnight because it really was very lovely.

How can one not love a lake surrounded by mountains? They were big mountains, too. In the next few shots you can see how the mountains tower over the town.



Although Rive del Garda is in the Trentino-Alto Adige Region (the area with that Bavarian feel that I loved), it was distinctly Italian in architecture. Some of the buildings even had that WWII look about them, which I think is just because the stucco on some of the buildings was falling off.


For the most part, the buildings in Riva del Garda were pretty well-kept. But there were a couple that had that pock-marked look.


Not that I am complaining. I'd still go back in a heartbeat!


The light was just right as I strolled around early Friday morning.



Hiya, Hubby!


Don't you just love the looks of this waterfront?



There were even lots of motorcycles and scooters around. Check out these two bikes, which I spotted outside of a motorbike dealership in town.

I'd never seen such a thing. Seatless motorcycles?

Trials Bikes

It was Hubby who told me they were trials bikes.

I think Fuzzy should add one of these to her arsenal, what do you all think?


There were quite a few scooters there, too.


So what do you think? Could you stand a few days in and around this cute little place?

6 comments:

Brenda said...

It's been a while since I actually got that tingley feeling that I just needed to go somewhere .. looking at your photos I just got butterflies in my belly .. I want to be there!!

Postcard perfect .. thanks for sharing some lovely photos Kathy.

Oh the trials bikes look interesting, not exactly comfortable for cruising round a village though I would have thought.

SonjaM said...

What a lovely venue. I will put Hotel Sole on my list should I ever travel there again. Beautiful!!!

I did a trial course once in France, through difficult terrain. You really never get to sit down, and you develop lots of leg muscles...

Scootard said...

Oh yes please. Thank you so much for taking me along. I have been loving the awesome pics, the scintillating commentary and my heart beats hot to come and see this wonderful countryside for myself, with my beloved Scooterchick of course. Ride on.

Kathy Kirkpatrick said...

Thanks for the nice comments folks. I am glad you have enjoyed bike week. I was sad to see it end. But glad at the same time as I was completely exhausted! I still have to tell y'all about our adventures getting back to Milan.

Trobairitz said...

The mountains towering over the town are gorgeous. Great choice on hotel. With that kind of location, it would have been hard to leave.

I have seen some amazing videos of trials riders and I just can't comprehend how they can jump all those rocks and obstacles.

Arline said...

What an adventure?! Yeah, trial bikes are usually used by motocross racers to train :)
I enjoyed your photos, the mountainous scenery is beautiful