Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Things to Come

Not a lot has been happening around here.

That's actually an understatement. Nothing has been happening around here.

Riva del Garda Waterfront
After our return from San Diego, Hubby was sick for an entire week. Then the crud hit me. It's still lingering, but WAY better.

The good news about all the downtime is that I FINALLY started making some vacation plans. I couldn't decide if we should wing it and just stop when we got tired and find lodging. Or plan ahead.

The inner tightwad in me decided to plan ahead. Things in Europe are expensive enough. I figured we'd get off much cheaper if I scouted out and booked rooms in advance.

I didn't have that much booking to do since we'll be spending quite a bit of time with Annelies and Yves. And Annelies was kind enough to find a house for us to rent. It's in the hills not too far west (20 miles maybe?) of Venice.

After a week there, which follows the motorcycle adventure portion of the trip, we'll be headed over to Switzerland to stay with, Tammi, a friend and former co-worker, who lives in a town she described as having more cows than people. 

Now I guess I should start working on stuff we need to do before we go. Like figure out how much cash to take. Check out the weather. Stuff like that.

Huh, look at that. Now I have something to do!

Besides daydream about this, that is...

10 comments:

bobskoot said...

Kathy:

that road is too scarey, too many curves. Couldn't they make them straighter ?

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Trobairitz said...

I think that road looks like a lot of fun - provided I don't have a speed racer behind me as I might be slower than the average bear going up/down the curves.

Have fun planning out some details. You two are going to have so much fun on your trip.

bluekat said...

Fun stuff! We have friend currently touring Europe. I'm so jealous of their pics!

I like the road the way it is too :)

Kathy Kirkpatrick said...

Bob, the newer roads are straighter. But they tend to go through tunnels. And that's not nearly as scenic. Some of the passes in the Alps date back to the 1200s.

Kathy Kirkpatrick said...

Brandy, the pass roads can be fun, but are also challenging. If you are going slow, folks just pass you. Nicely, of course. The road rules, or rather attitudes, are quite different over there. Passing is not only accepted, but encouraged. It's quite a nice change of pace!

Kathy Kirkpatrick said...

Bluekat, it is definitely scenic. I'm looking forward to capturing lots of good pics on this trip!

SonjaM said...

Ah, haven't been there in a long time...
I used to work for a company that had a facility near Venice. No complaints from e when we had meetings there ;-)

Sometimes I miss the Alps... and I miss Italy... I don't miss the traffic though.

Thanks for bringing in some dreaming into my work day.

Kathy Kirkpatrick said...

Sonja, I'd love to tool through Bavaria and into Italy with you!

bobskoot said...

Kathy:

I was kidding !

As much as Europe looks enticing with all those famous roads, I told myself a long time ago that I have to explore my own country before I go elsewhere. Everyone is so fast to leave but not explore in their own back yard. I have been to Newfoundland and love it there. But my trip to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI never happened and I am trying to figure out how to ship my bike there

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Deb said...

Wow! You are going to have so much fun! Can't wait to read the posts!