Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Warrenton Car Show Wows

I'm going to go all "I love my new town" on y'all again. Sorry. But we keep experiencing stuff that makes us really love it here. It's a combination of the small-town quaintness of it all and the fact that we're right in Old Town (Warrenton's downtown historic district) and can walk to most events others have to drive to.

It's awesome. No fighting traffic. No circling endlessly looking for parking. No worrying about whether clean bathrooms will be available.

The latest event was the 16th Annual Father's Day Car Show. Hubby had been looking forward to it for awhile. I had no idea what to expect. The town is small, so I thought the car show would be small. Maybe a couple dozen vehicles?

I was wrong. Way wrong.

From the time I awoke (around 7:00 a.m.) I noticed that the air was full of rumbles. Some far louder than others. The event didn't officially begin until 10:00. By about 9:15, I could stand it no longer. I had to go see.


I was amazed at the number of vehicles there. And, as the dogs and I strolled through, they were still coming in. I found out yesterday that 228 vehicles had registered. And there were quite a few others to gawk at on the fringes that had not registered for one reason or another.


I took quite a few pics. Since I also did a post on my personal blog yesterday, I'm doing a more-condensed version here. I don't know much about vintage vehicles, but I do enjoy looking at them. This Suburban was a mutual favorite.


Notice anything interesting about that shot?


With so many people milling about, it was hard to get good shots of the cars. But I was able to focus on some of the farkles and odder sights.


I loved seeing the Michelin Man and his dog. Even if they were tiny versions.


And the leashed child made me laugh. I always shake my head at those. I mean, I guess it's practical, but it sure looks silly.I still think leashes are for pets.

There were a few motorcycles there, but none piqued my interest like this Harley Davidson "Air Force" bike, which had the most-amazing paint job ever.


I had so enjoyed hearing the rumbles before the show that I decided to walk up again to watch them leave. Seeing the machines on display is awesome. Watching and hearing them motor down the street was an extra-special treat.


I LOVE the color of that truck.

If you like these pics and want to see more, you should check out the slideshow on my Flickr site.

The car show is one of the reasons I didn't spend much time trying to figure out how to edit the video I accidentally shot during our Saturday excursion. Last night, I invested some brain power and figured the editing program out.

I managed to condense an hour and a half or so of video and edit it so it's watchable. Keep in mind, though, that I did not realize I was shooting video. The next one will be more creative.

Some of the footage is shown at 2x-speed to make it more tolerable. I just wanted to show y'all the variety of roads that surround us.



I know I've said this before, but if you are ever in the area, be sure to let me know. I'd love to share my backyard with you.

5 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Awesome post. A little bit of everything. Pretty cars and bikes and gorgeous roads in the video.

Nicely done on the gravel, btw. I couldn't believe the mass of tiger lilies. I wonder how any years it has taken to get that many.

bobskoot said...

Kathy:

I like your roads, empty but a bit narrow. We don't have anything like those here. I guess it's just the nature of our landscape, just valleys and mountains, no rolling hills.

I don't think you doubled your speed. I think you are a speed demon by riding so fast that it scares me

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Fuzzy said...

Love the green rolling land in the vid. There is just something so sweet, simple and romantic about a farm road dotted with barns... ::sigh:: Just beautiful.

How DO they make those big hay ho-hos anyway?

ToadMama said...

Brandy, I wondered that exact thing about the lilies. I have never seen so many in one spot! And thanks for the kind words. It truly was a picture-perfect weekend.

Bob, I never thought about the roads as narrow until you mentioned it, but you are right. We do seek out the back roads, though. Not all of our roads are as narrow. And some of the county roads, which are more like farm lanes, get REALLY skinny. And me, a scary speed demon? LOL.

Fuzzy, I love farm roads and barns and cows and horses and hay. Which brings me to "hay ho-hos." I have never thought of them as ho-ho shaped, but that's perfect! From here on out I'll be calling those big round bales "ho-hos." And one of these days I'll catch one of the machines that make those things...

Troubadour said...

Rods, rides and roads, very nice pics and video. I prefer narrow roads as the general public seem to avoid them. Good job on the gravel.

...and kids on leashes, have you seen the Modern Family episode with Lily on a leash?