Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bear Wallow Road

I've always liked cows. I can't help it. I also can't really explain it. Other than they just make for such picturesque scenes when ambling through the countryside.

It was only when I began stopping to photograph the bovines that I realized how curious they are.

The other day, while tooling around Warrenton, I decided to head out Bear Wallow Road.

Having spotted that road name on the map, I couldn't not check it out. Right?

It's not far at all outside of town. In fact, it may even be within the town limits.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a herd of cows AND a convenient place to stop.


Of course, the cows were checking me out, too.

The little one was particularly curious.


It had a little friend across the field that appeared quite intrigued by me, too.

"Mama Moo, I'm going to go check out that really bright, alien-looking thing over there. Okay?"


I was tickled seeing it make its way slowly and carefully across the pasture toward me.






How cute is that little face?


He seemed happier once he was next to his friend. I guess even cows find security in numbers.

Here's an interesting article (with video) about a herd of curious cows and a 6-month-old Boxer puppy.

I've heard that if you lay down in a cow pasture, they'll all come over to have a closer look.

I have yet to test that one...

8 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Kathy,

I think it was you that I had seen before comment on the way cows will watch you as you go past. I remembered it from somewhere anyway and I watched a few cows on our recent trip north, I was behind hubby and every single cow I watched was busy watching hubby go past! It was cool.

Cows up close for some reason just kinda scare me though, they are so big, I do like them when they're behind a fence :)

And that little one that took an interest is just too cute!

SonjaM said...

Cows (at least the female and very young) don't seem to have any guile.

When we were kids we used to spend our vacation on a farm.

You can get very close to them, and they really don't want to hurt you. If they do, it is usually your own fault. They are very lovable creatures.

Andrew Thomson said...

Yes, they certainly will come right up to you. I've sat on a log with my dog and had a whole herd come up. They even gave the dog a good sniff.

Cows are cool people.

Trobairitz said...

They are curious creatures. The OSU dairy is a mile or so east from our house and we can often see cows in the pasture when driving by.

From home when the wind is just right we can smell the 'dairy air', or is that 'derriere'?

ToadMama said...

Brenda, I'm glad you tested my observation. Next time, as they watch you go past, don't forget to wave hello. :-)

ToadMama said...

Sonja, I wish I'd had more exposure to farm animals as a youngster. Sounds like a cool vacation for a kid.

ToadMama said...

Andrew, I'm glad you agree that cows are cool. Your "cool people" made me chuckle.

Brandy, your comment made me laugh out loud. What's even funnier, someone I know likes to say "smells like ass" instead of the usual "it stinks." She'd probably agree with your "derriere" definition!

Deb said...

Aren't the babies cute? It's sweet to see them nursing their mamas...