Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Small Lessons

Variety is the spice of life.

I wonder how far back that cliche goes? I'm sure I could find out if I invested about half an hour. But I refuse to let another stupid search suck me in.

My goal is not to discuss cliches. Although I do have a particular fondness for words. The other day, when reading about another female rider at Helmet or Heels (Shelia from the UK), I was tickled to see the term "absolute numpty."

I wasn't sure what "numpty" meant, but I liked it! Probably because it was paired with "absolute." And I LOVE the way those UK folks say "absolute" and "absolutely" when using it to describe stuff. They emphasize the first and third syllables and really draw the word out.

Again, I could probably do a search to find an audio of that pronunciation. But I won't.

Instead I'll show you my latest Google map and tell you my lesson learned for the day.


Can you make sense of that map? Yeah, me either.

I'd planned a route using Google maps. Then I revised the route and saved the new version over top of the old version. I was thinking it would be like saving a new Word file over an old Word file with the same name. You know, where the new file replaces the old.

Google maps doesn't work like that. It commingles things. So I ended up with one very confusing map.

When I saw this maze of a route, I felt like an absolute numpty!

In case you're wondering, numpty = idiot. It was voted the UK's favorite word back in 2007.

Yes, I had to look it up. I was pretty sure it probably meant something like idiot, but had to check first.

You have to be careful with some words, you know. Americans tend to use terms differently than people in the UK. English isn't always plain.

"Wanker" is a good example. In the US, it's a pretty tame word that's low on the vulgarity scale. It's about the equivalent of calling someone a jerk, dodo, or butthead.

In the UK, it's considered quite vulgar.

I would probably never use the "F-bomb" in a blog post. But I would feel fine saying wanker repeatedly.

Wanker, wanker, wanker, WANKER, wanker. See?

But I don't live in the UK. It'll be interesting to see if I have any followers living in the UK or of UK origin that can weigh in on the topic.

Anyway, my point is... if you're ever in the UK and feel the need to insult someone, you may want to go with numpty as opposed to wanker. For your own safety.      


Are you now as bored as these dogs look? Sorry.

This post was about as organized as that Google map. But maybe, just maybe, if you actually read this far, you learned something.

No? Well, at least you got to see that cute picture of my dogs.

8 comments:

Deb said...

Yep! Lovin' those doggies too! That looks like our house around 9pm after they have barked all day at the cats!

BeemerGirl said...

I just want to curl up with thm and hug them, and kiss them, and squeeze them. Jeez I miss my puppies.

And I never knew google maps did overlays on saves like that.

bobskoot said...

Kathy:

when I first saw that Google Maps, I thought to myself that you had a great day getting "lost", or riding in circles.

If someone gave me that map to follow I would be "absolute numpty" too

bob
Riding the Wet Coast
My Flickr // My YouTube

Trobairitz said...

Okay, first that post was not boring. You had me smiling and chuckling throughout. And second, I didn't think wanker was that bad to say. F-bomb I wouldn't say on a blog but it does get bandied about the office on a daily basis.

Such a cute picture of your doggies. I love how they each went to their own bed.

ToadMama said...

Glad I could entertain a bit. Just so I am not misrepresenting myself, I have also been know to drop the F-bomb on occasion. I'm just too old-fashioned to use it casually on a blog post. Now, if it were really called for, I might. We'll have to see. Even in extreme cases, I wouldn't use it on my personal blog. My Moms read that one. :-)

Oddly enough, my kids (all adults) use the word often and it doesn't offend me. I still would never say it in front of my parents. Even if I am 45!

ToadMama said...

This is just a test comment to see if I successfully turned that annoying word verification thing off. Honestly, I forgot that was even turned on. Sorry to make you all struggle like that!

SonjaM said...

Having been exposed to British English in my early years, I got quickly introduced to this specific terminology. Some words don't even sound really offensive, but they can be really mean. Especially when served with a certain sneer that only native islanders can produce.

Thank you for the smiles today.

Deb said...

"Oh, bloody 'ell! What a great post!"

;=)