Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day. Hubby and I drove up to Baltimore on Saturday to visit with our Moms. We are fortunate that both are still with us. And they live really close to each other.

As for my three kids. The oldest, Shannon, lives in San Diego. The middle daughter, Amy, who lives about 25 miles north of Baltimore, has three kids of her own and tends to spend Mother's Day being pampered. Eric, the youngest, who lives about 20 miles south of Baltimore, is a budding chef, so he had to work.

I didn't get to see any of them. But I did get cards from all of them. I got to speak to them, too. They're all good kids. Raising them was a challenge, so it's great to see them all as happy, healthy, functioning adults.

I spent most of my day buying and planting flowers. Yes, that's work, but for me it's a labor of love. I still have more to plant, but I just had to squeeze a ride in. Know what I'm sayin'? Isn't Mother's Day a day Moms are supposed to do the things they love?

Hubby was working on his own project (building cabinets for our closet). Just about the time I decided I was ready for a ride, he decided he was ready for some relaxing.


He was delighted to discover one of his hammocks in the garage -- he'd feared they were both at the WV Place -- and was more than happy to stay at home while I went for a quick spin.

Two hours is quick, right?


View Rappahannock Cellars Run in a larger map

I left without a destination in mind. I headed out of town on Culpeper Street, which leads to Springs Road. A very nice ride full of rolling hills and gentle twisties. Once I hit CR-229, I hung a right and headed toward Leeds Manor Road, which is one of my favorite riding roads in Fauquier County. It's scenic. It's got hills, and twisties, and great pavement. I have yet to see even a speck of gravel there.

Since I'd gotten a late start, I didn't want to ride all the way to then end. So I turned left on Hume Road. It's just as awesome as Leeds Manor Road, but it's narrower. Narrow enough that there's no center line. The straight sections are full of hills, so, assuming you are going fast enough, you get that tickly stomach feeling as you crest each.

Surprisingly, the speed limit for most of the way is 45 mph.


I even got to stop and get the barn scene I've been wanting to capture.

While I was there, a fellow rider zipped past.


That shot might give you an idea of the narrowness of the road. The hills pictured aren't the really fun ones. But they'll do.

You know what's next, right?


If you've been following this blog long enough, you know I like cattle. Yes, "cattle." 

Finally, I decided to seek some cow facts so I'd know how to correctly refer to these critters. My mother-in-law pretty much explained it to me the same way, it just didn't sink in.
In common parlance bulls, heifers, cows, calves are collectively called cows, however the correct terms is cattle. Unlike sheep, cattle may only be used in the plural; You cannot refer to one cattle as one would say one sheep. There is no singular other than to use the gender or age specific terms, such as a bull, a cow, a heifer, a calf. A young female before she has had a calf of her own is called a heifer, after she has had one or two calves, the number depending on locality, she is than called a cow, the young of both sexes are called calves until weaned. The adjective applying to cattle in general is usually bovine.
So now I know... if I feel like being common, I can still say "cows."

Darn, I just realized there was no mention of steers vs. bulls. Oh well...

It's always amused me how cows stare at you when you stop.


Check out that one!

I'm glad I snapped that shot when I did. I was literally about five feet away from it. Shortly after hitting the shutter, it grunted (giving me a very quick "oh shit" moment) then turned away. I always worry that I'll freak them out enough to cause a stampede.

Too much TV, I guess.  (Do you remember The Cowboys? It's a John Wayne movie from the early seventies.)

According to that same cow facts web page... 
Cattle are extremely curious creatures and investigate anything and everything.
So that explains the stares. I vaguely remember someone telling me that before.

I still find it amusing to see them all looking at me.


 It's probably hard to tell how many are staring, looking at that picture, unless you click on it to see a larger view.

I think the one staring from behind the little bush is particularly amusing.


Yeah, it doesn't take much to amuse me. Sorry to go on and on about the cattle.

Lucky for you, the road beckoned. I was still on Hume Road, by the way.


Don't you wish you could ride that road right now?

If you ever visit Fauquier County, I'd be more than happy to take you there.


Right before Hume Road intersects with US-522, you pass through the Rappahannock Cellars Winery property.

That's one of their vineyards pictured above. 

Hubby and I had passed through on our IFRD run. That's when I noticed this barn I knew I'd return one day to capture.


It's not always easy to stop for pics when zipping along with a ride partner. And turning around is a pain in the butt.

I'm glad I stopped yesterday. I think that's a cool picture.

The rest of the ride was sort of uneventful. On US-522, I headed south through Flint Hill. There's a town I need to re-visit to photograph. I could have stopped yesterday, but it was getting late. And the skies were getting grayer and grayer.

So that's it for the pics. All in all, it was a very nice out-and-back loop covering just under 70 miles in about two hours.

I need to add that loop to my Web site, which is sorely in need of updating.

Did you have a nice Mother's Day?

4 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Sounds like a lovely day. With that sunshine I can see why hubby opted to hang out in the hammock. But then the road beckons too. So hard to decide. At least you each did what you wanted.

Great pictures of the cattle. I thought of you last weekend when driving to Salem. There are usually sheep and cattle hanging around but none wanted to come out to be photographed Saturday.

Do you find that sheep run from your bike whereas cattle don't? The sheep around here are scared of our pipes i think.

Great post. All I did yesterday was write a blog and do some weeding in the yard. At least I got some sun though.

SonjaM said...

I haven't been riding on Mothers Day, just putting aroudn in the house, doing some gardening, and simply enjoy the lovely weather. Lots of four and two wheeled idiots come out when the weather is fair.

Glad you had a great outing. Isn't the world wonderful when everything is green?

ToadMama said...

Brandy, I haven't tested the curiosity thing with sheep. As soon as I get a chance, I'll give it a try and let you know. Weeding is a necessary evil, but at least it gets you outside.

Sonja, yes things are certainly much lovelier when draped in green. I enjoy gardening, too, and agree it's a great way to enjoy good weather.

Dar said...

I love your cattle pictures! It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I was pampered and was able to get out for a ride with some girlfriends. Love your pictures, I just want to ride Twisties!