Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

My New Toy

Notice anything different? No? Check out the top of my helmet.

Helmet Cam

It was actually a Christmas present from Hubby that I finally got around to installing and testing. And you know what? It works pretty good. Now I just need to figure out how to edit the videos so I can share them with you. Trust me, the raw footage would bore you to tears.

I tested it on the way to see the Farnham Colossi. So I could show you that not only was that a cool destination, the road to get there was awesome, too. As soon as I figure out this editing thing, I'll share.

Hubby and I have been off work since Wednesday and have actually gotten some riding in. About time, eh?

This is the type of weather we had for our long ride on Friday...

Blue-sky day.
It was quite pretty. Temps climbed a bit high for my tastes (low 90s), but that was the only complaint. And I only REALLY minded the temperatures when we got stuck in rush-hour traffic in Winchester on the way back to our place. It wasn't nearly as bad as rush hour in Baltimore, but sitting in traffic in full gear on a 90 degree day is never fun.

I mapped the route, but Hubby was leading. So I didn't stop to take pictures. Which is a shame because we covered some pretty interesting terrain. There was one spot the mapping software Hubby uses refused to take us (have a look at someone else's photo).

We actually ended up in the Shenandoah National Park. At one point, we crossed Skyline Drive. It was on US-211 just east of the Thornton Gap entrance when we saw this sign...

This is not my photo. I had to link to it. I didn't want to stop and risk losing Hubby.
Nothing like a road sign like that to unnerve you!

Hubby on a rest break.
There were some pretty crazy curves on that road. So the warning was a good one.

Our bikes are very light and nimble. And we're experienced riders. I can see a newbie on a big-ass cruiser flying through there now. Or trying to. Chances are very good said newbie would've flown right out, too, in a Medevac helicopter!

Friday's ride map... 230 miles.

Not long after that, we headed back north through some VERY pretty country. That's Virginia horse country. You see nothing but huge fields surrounded by miles and miles of white fences with the occasional big-ass house (mansion) thrown in. Notice I didn't say McMansion? Those houses are the real deal. What I'll never understand is this... all those fields and we NEVER see anyone riding a horse. Heck, we hardly ever see any horses. Go figure.

Saturday we took it easy and only rode 93 miles. We rode up to Wellersburg, PA to visit our friends Kathy and Barry Spice who have a piece of property on the MD/PA line. We got to do some off-roading on their driveway. I'll have to see if I can get Kathy to send me a picture so I can show you what I mean.

We only stayed for a little while 'cause they've got construction stuff to do. After we left there, we went to Frostburg, MD for a wonderful Mexican dinner at El Canelo (more on that one, too).

Another Mexican restaurant to add to our list of favorites.
We're riding tomorrow, too. And I'm leading. I'll try to stop and get some pictures to share.

I hope you are all enjoying your long weekend!

3 comments:

SonjaM said...

Please give me more pics, I am so curious about your part of the US.

ToadMama said...

Sonja, I'm more than happy to oblige that picture request. :-)

Have you poked around on my companion Web site yet? It's at http://www.appalachiantours.com/index.html. It aggregates the info from the blog and you'll get quick access to the states you are interested in. That's how it is supposed to work anyway. If you find it difficult to navigate, please let me know.

Shybiker said...

Cool! I've thought about getting one of those cameras but haven't. Let us know about your experience with it.