Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

On a Mountain Morning

I'm not typically a morning person. The ole brain is pretty slow to fire that early in the day. I'd much rather delay conversation until after I've had at least one cup of coffee.

That's one of the reasons I actually enjoy my morning walks with the girls (dogs). They're not usually very vocal in the mornings. And I get to watch them cavort through the woods as we walk, having the best time ever. Other than the sound of their feet crashing through the leaves, it's pretty quiet. And I get to listen to the birds sing.

This morning, I heard a strange voice. Unfamiliar, but lovely. Luckily, I had my zoom lens on the camera and I actually caught a picture of the nice little guy (or gal) who was kind enough to serenade me.

Brown Thrasher
These birds aren't very common around here. They're year-round residents further south. Apparently they come north to breed. It was very peaceful listening to this one singing this morning (the link will take you to a page where you can hear the Brown Thrasher sing).

I was VERY happy to see that the leaves are flowering.

Flowering Tree
I have no idea what kind of tree that is (above), but I know what the one in the image below is. It's my favorite Springtime tree...

Eastern Redbud
You know it's Spring for real when the Redbuds start blooming.

Early Redbud Blooms
Doesn't that picture just scream Spring? Redbuds are native to this area, so they're scattered throughout the woods. We don't have many. What I really like is when the Dogwoods and Redbuds are both in bloom. Because most trees still don't have flowers or leaves, the pinks and yellows really stand out.

Spring Puddle
It's been a pretty wet Spring so far, so there are lots of puddles around. And we're supposed to get more rain tomorrow.

Small Flower
"Hello, little flower. It's nice to see you again after that long, cold Winter."

New Leaves
I love watching, week to week, as the leaves start to emerge. Doesn't that branch look cool as it's filling in?

All Wrapped Up
This bit of vine caught my eye as I was checking out those new leaves. I think it makes for a pretty interesting picture.

Magic Morning Light
And I LOVE how the morning light makes this dead grass look so nice and golden.

Fat and Happy
And this guy just makes me smile. He was a gift from my friend, Carol. He sits up on the hill looking in our kitchen window.

That was my mountain morning. Did you enjoy our walk, too?

6 comments:

Shybiker said...

Nice post. I love the re-emergence of plant and animal life in Spring. You captured that.

Trace4J said...

Beautiful pictures! I love Springtime and all its newness!
I did enjoy our walk..Not as much as the one I took when I was there,but close :)

SonjaM said...

Beautiful, the way you captured nature's awakening. What a lovely area you live in. I have to get there one time for sure.

ToadMama said...

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Trace, I was thinking about you this morning. I told Mike about Belle taking the M&Ms you gave her outside to spit out! :-)

ToadMama said...

Sonja, I think you have fun exploring this drier part of the country. We'll have to do an exchange program. I'll come to visit you on the wet coast and you can visit me here. :-)

SonjaM said...

Kathy, sounds like a plan ;-)