Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Homemade Italian Goodness

When we first moved to our little corner of West Virginia, the thing we missed immediately was restaurants. Heck, before we even moved in, we knew we'd have to have some sort of food preparation facility during the construction process or we'd starve.

Not literally. There were some places in town. Just nothing that really made our mouths water. It was a happy occasion when the Subway sandwich shop opened. And I don't even really like Subway. But I'd take that any day over McDonald's. There's a Dairy Queen in town, too, which is okay. But it's still fast food.

We may not be the high maintenance or super picky type, but we can only eat so much fast food. That's why Hubby and I were both pleasantly surprised a few years back when Italian Touch opened.
Italian Touch
450 East Main Street
Romney, West Virginia 26757
Phone: (304) 822-5800
Italian Touch on Urbanspoon

Let's just say we were cautiously optimistic. Because there are other places to eat in town. Romney isn't that small. There just aren't many good places.

The restaurant business in small-town America is far different than it is in a major metropolis. Hours are shorter. The selection is more limited. Sadly, the quality isn't always as good either. So we weren't expecting much.

We weren't among the first customers to cross the threshhold. In fact, we drove past for weeks, looking in to see if people were actually there, eating. They do carry out and delivery as well as sit-down meals.

Keep in mind, we don't live in town. And most weekends we were doing various construction projects. We weren't always fit to be seen eating in town. Which is another reason we didn't end up eating here until months after it opened.


Finally we decided to bite the bullet and test the place out. And you know what? It's delicious. Not passably good. Really good.

No lie. I've never had a bad meal there. Some okay ones maybe, but not bad.

Our favorite meal is the Stromboli. The dough is homemade. It is generously stuffed with sausage, pepperoni, and lots of mozzarella cheese. The top is brushed with butter or olive oil and then topped with garlic bread sprinkle. The small size ($6.95) and an order of Fried Mushrooms ($3.75) is usually enough to feed the two of us. And we're folks with hearty appetites.

The pizza is quite good, too. Of course, it's made with the same fabulous homemade dough. A one-topping personal sized pizza (10") is only $5.75. You can get a large, 2-topping pizza for just $10.99. Assuming you don't want it delivered. If you do want delivery, a large 3-topping pizza is only $12.99.

If there's one thing I am particular about, it's salad. The huge variety of lettuces and other greens available to the common man in even the smallest supermarkets has me spoiled. I'm a Spring Mix girl. I find iceberg lettuce salads completely boring. BUT, if I've gone a stretch with no green vegetables, I will get a salad. And I must say, they're always nice and fresh.

The Cheesesteak sub ($6.50) is tasty. And it's served on a fresh, crusty roll.

I did say we have hearty appetites, right? In my opinion, the Cheesesteak sub is perfectly stuffed. Often. when I've gotten those elsewhere, there's just way too much meat.  So I like their Cheesesteaks. Hubby will get one if he isn't super hungry. But in general for him there isn't enough meat on them.

Note to you folks who like "hots" on your subs... they don't do hots in Romney. Apparently that's a more-local thing. You can get hot banana peppers, but not crushed red cherry peppers in oil (aka HOTS).

This past Saturday I was in the mood for something different, so I got a Meatball Parmagiana sub ($6.50). Actually, I only paid $5.99 because I got there at lunch time and could take advantage of the special, which is any sub plus fries for $5.99. The subs are about a foot long, too.

I'm also particular about meatballs. I hate store-bought meatballs. They always have a rather strange, mushy texture. I was sort of worried that these might be purchased (I worry about that every time I eat meatballs anywhere, even at people's houses). But they weren't. Or, if they were, they were great imposters. The meatballs were awesome. And the sub was so big, I could only eat half of it. Hubby could only finish half of his cold cut, too.

Next time we go there, I'm going to get a pasta dish with meatballs. They were that good.

Italian Touch is on the east side of town in an old house that was converted into the restaurant. It is right on US-50 (one of the best motorcycle roads in the US) across from the West Virginia School for the Deaf & Blind.

West Virginia School for the Deaf & Blind

One more plus about Italian Touch is that they're open late. Their hours are Monday through Thursday, 11am - 10 pm. Fridays and Saturdays they're open 11 am - 11 pm. And on Sundays, they are open noon - 10 pm.

They don't serve alcohol. I don't know if it's a BYOB place or alcohol is a strict no-no. But The Cruise Thru (drive-through liquor store) is only right up the street.They sell beer and wine at the supermarkets, gas stations, convenience stores, drug stores, etc., too.

I don't know about you, but after a long ride, I almost always drink a nice, ice-cold beer. Preferably a big one. :-)

I wasn't paid to do this review. I wasn't even offered so much as a meal discount. I'm talking about it here because it's a great restaurant and I want them to stay in business.

So, the next time you are in our near Romney and are hungry, stop at Italian Touch. You won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

Trace4J said...

Sounds wonderful..However the food served at your little cabin was the best!!
Trace'

Trace4J said...

ooops left off your a wonderful cook :)

ToadMama said...

LOL! Thanks, Trace. Have you managed to make an Italian Cold Cut like I showed you yet?

VStar Lady said...

It's great to see folks support their local eatery (it's a tough business). I've one here too - the Creekside Bar and Grill, Battersea, ON. The food is always great - real turkey on the Laker's turkey club (not to mention the pretzel bread) and a salad that would feed three. Friends and I go there every Friday night...and they do see alcohol :o}
Thanks for sending me this link too.

VStar Lady said...

Oh, that would be serve alcohol (I suppose they 'see' it too.)
Cheers