Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

My New Look

Have you noticed anything different here? Are you thinking I'm having a crisis of not being able to decide which header I like?

For some time now, I've wanted to change the look of my Appalachian Tours blog. I knew what I wanted to achieve (rotating header images), I just didn't know how to make it happen. After a bunch of reading and some experimentation, I made it work. And I am quite tickled about it.

It wasn't as simple as THIS POST would make you think. So, if you're not a bit techhie, don't try it yourself.

That post definitely provided the info I needed. But it's sort of specific to a certain Blogger template. For me to get it to work, I had to change the javascript.

I had to change this line from the provided code...

"document.write("#header-wrapper {");"

...to read like this...

"document.write(".header-outer {");"

I am not techhie enough to do a great job explaining this. I only know a teeny bit about CSS (cascading style sheets), which is essentially the behind-the-scenes code that tells a browser how to render your page. What you see -- bold letters, centered titles, font sizes, etc. -- is based on what's in a site's CSS.

If you select Edit HTML in your Blogger Design window and scroll down, you'll eventually see something like this...


It took some trial and error to figure out what to change. I also had to insert a transparent header image to sort of make space for the rotating images to appear. I had to make some other minor tweaks, too. For example, I have 11 different images, but the example only had 6.

What's this all mean?

Every time you refresh this page, you'll see one of 11 different header images.

Cool, right?

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I only know enough about CSS to be sort of dangerous.

I'm just glad it worked.

As much as I like the images, I sort of like this header the best.



Do you like the variable headers? Or do you find it confusing, overwhelming, tacky, etc.?

4 comments:

jay4u169 said...

Very Cool I like that. I hope I don’t get obsessed with this cool little trick and spend my weekend tinkering with my blog instead of prepping the dirt bike for Sunday’s race. Good job I like your blog

ToadMama said...

Thanks, Jay. I hope I don't make you miss your race!

bobskoot said...

ToadMama:

I must be stupid. If you can do it I CAN'T . . . You're just so technologically superior

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

ToadMama said...

Aw, Bob. It just takes lots of trial and error. It's one of those things that come sort of easy to me. I am no programmer by any stretch of the imagination. One of my boss's favorite sayings... "we know just enough to be dangerous." If there's something you keep stumbling over, let me know and I'll try to help.