Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

What's "Warm" Anyway?

There was a time when I wouldn't leave the house for a ride if it wasn't going to be at least 60 degrees. Because, really, when the ambient temperature is 60 and you ride down the highway at 60 mph, that equals COLD. At least that's what I used to think. Because I finally learned that if you're wearing the right stuff, you can really ride in any weather.

I'm working on getting the right gear. For now, I still have to rely on the leather. It does help keep me warm, but it really sucks in hot weather. And I've always felt a bit silly wearing my assless chaps. I did order a pair of pants (they were supposed to arrive this past Friday, but got delayed because of bad weather), but am still searching for the perfect jacket.

I was delighted on Saturday when temps hit the 40s. It hasn't been that warm in ages. And then yesterday, it hit the 50s. Woo hoo! You know what that means, right?

We finally got to ride the new bikes.


You probably can't tell that I was smiling ear-to-ear, but I was.

I really like my new motorcycle. Really, really. But then I've said that about a gazillion times haven't I?

Did you get to ride this weekend? Wasn't it awesome to be out there on the road?

As a side note, we did check out the Ellicott City route I mentioned a week ago. As suspected, College Avenue is full of houses, but it's still a FUN ride. It's got three or four hills that are so steep you can't see the other side as you near the top. It feels like you're riding on a roller coaster. If you're ever in the area, it's a route I highly recommend you check out.

4 comments:

Fuzzygalore said...

You guys look great on your new bikes!

You certainly have a bike that can handle a heated liner ::hint:hint:: That really can extend your comfortable riding season quite a bit.

Bikes and their gear... the never ending money pit!

ToadMama said...

That's on my wish list. The dealer has a loaner program so I can try some out if I want to. I may just take him up on that.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, you guys look so happy on the new bikes. These look a lot like the bikes you rented on your recent tour. Hey Scorpion makes some nice ballistic nylon gear for ladies if you can pull yourself away from leathers...

Enjoy!
Ann Pongracz

ToadMama said...

Thanks, Ann! I'm done with leather. I actually got my new pants today and was all excited until I realized they sent me a Men's Short size. I am not a man and am definitely not short. So now I have to wait, again, for the right ones to arrive. And yes, these bikes are just like the ones we rented, only a different color.