Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Motorcycle Photo Blog-o-Rama

Fellow blogger, Fuzzygalore (aka Rachael), started a fun little meme today. She called it "Motorcycle Photo Blog-O-Rama" and invited others to play. Before I dive on in, I have to say I was quite tickled to learn that a shot of mine actually inspired her. (When one has a brand-new blog, it's easy to get excited when people mention you.)

Fuzzy started the meme off with a picture she took of the Bixby Creek Bridge just south of Monterey on California Hwy 1. A gorgeous picture in a wonderful setting. I bet that was a great ride.

Since I am completely addicted to taking pictures, and I also happen to like taking pictures during my motorcycle rides, of course I'd want to join in. You can play, too. I'll tell you how in a minute. But first, here are my bridge pics for the meme.

This photo was taken in late September of 2007. Hubby and I took a week off of work and rode down to the Deal's Gap area south of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Motorcycle vacations aren't usually about the destination. They're all about the ride. So we almost never take the direct route anywhere.

We have a thing for national parks, too. When I saw that the New River Gorge was actually designated as a National River AND that there's a really cool bridge there, I just HAD to add it to the return leg of our journey. Check out the New River Gorge National River web site for more information.

New River Gorge Bridge, Fayetteville, WV

The New River Gorge Bridge is 876 feet above the river. The bridge is 3,030 feet long with a 1,700-foot arch. It's an impressive site. It would've been more impressive with nice, blue skies as a backdrop. But that was not to be.

It was also interesting to see the old bridge and drive the original route down one side of the gorge, across the old bridge, and up the other side. This is one of my favorite bridge pictures. It was the first image that popped to mind when Fuzzy mentioned bridge pics.

The old New River Gorge Bridge. I shot the first picture from the middle of this bridge.

The New River Gorge area is FABULOUS for motorcycle rides. We actually spent some time in the area this past October. More on that one day. For now, I have to tell you how to join the meme.

Show Off Your Motorcycle-related Bridge Pics

1. Post one of your motorcycle-related photos that suit this photo meme on your own blog.

2. Caption or describe your photo. Tell us where and when it was taken. Maybe include an interesting note about it.

3. Encourage others to post their photos!

4. Go back to Fuzzy's original meme post and leave a comment. You can comment here, too, of course.

7 comments:

Fuzzygalore said...

GREAT pics. I love how the reflection in the water makes a nearly complete circle with the bridge.

For what it's worth i think the gray sky is beautiful. It looks like something is about to happen.

The second bridge pic is excellent too. It just seems to stretch on forevvvvvverrrrrr.... well done!

ToadMama said...

Thanks. Something was about to happen. Not something good either. But good motorcyclists have to know how to ride in the rain, right?

Shybiker said...

Wow! That first photo is amazing! Really, really beautiful.

It's nice that we share two interests: motorcycling and photography. You combine them wonderfully.

ToadMama said...

Thanks, Ralph. It's a good thing we have that, because when it comes to fashion, I am hopeless.

Brian Honey said...

Great picture of the NRG Bridge... I grew up in Fayetteville, right next to the Bridge. The ride down the "old way" on Fayette Station is pretty wild. Love your photo of the bridge at the bottom too.

ToadMama said...

Thanks, Brian. I can't imagine that being the main route to cross the gorge at one time. Unreal. The turns were tight on our bikes!

Bill the Motorcycle Backpack Guy said...

Awesome pictures. I would love to go on a motorcycle road trip with my mates, especially the same road trip that Top Gear took through Vietnam as it is such a beautifull country.